[TriLUG] video processing and ML on Linux

John Franklin via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Nov 17 09:27:17 EST 2020

On Nov 17, 2020, at 00:59, Greg Brown <gwbrown1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for the information!  I will admit to lusting over the Ryzen chips.  What are they up to now?  64 cores?  That's insane.  Insane and I want some of that action (though I could get by with just 24 or 32 cores…)

The Zen 2 TR3990X is 64C/128T, costs about $4,500 and 280W TDP.  The more modest Ryzen 9 5950X is a mere 16C/32T, 105W TDP and $800.  They haven’t announced Zen3 TR chips, at least not yet.  If you seriously need something with that level of scalability, you should be looking at Epyc and maybe renting a rack at your local co-lo.

(2GB RPi 4 is 4-cores for ~$45.  $4,500 would get you 400 cores of processing power.  Pi wins over AMD!  :) )

I’m putting together a wishlist on NewEgg myself for a Ryzen system, debating if I want to get 2.5GbE / 10GbE on the motherboard, or wait for a bit and get it as an add-on card later.  It’s not like I have anything to plug it into right now.

jf
--
John Franklin
franklin at elfie.org