[TriLUG] Is all hope lost (Ubuntu 18.04)

Brian via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Nov 28 22:49:25 EST 2020

All *may* not be lost; any files that were on sda before are still
there, but good luck finding them again without a correct partition table.

"sda1" *is* a partition; the block device would be "sda".

If you changed the partition table on sda, the previous partition table
is gone.  If you happen to know where the previous partitions start and
end on the disk, you can rebuild the partition table to what it was before.

The data in the files is probably safe, if you didn't attempt to write
to the newly-defined partitions.

ddrescue can do a lot; it may be able to recover files in the absence of
a valid or correct partition table.  Or other tools could accomplish
something similar perhaps.

If it's really important data, you could spend $$$ on a recovery
service.  Since the drive is fully functional, it's just a matter of
software and time.

What was this exercise?

-B