[TriLUG] Google fiber

Scott Thomas via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Dec 3 15:00:20 EST 2020

Wow, Dan. You must be one of the lucky ones. I'm in that group that includes the areas where AT&T rushed laying fiber to beat Google to market, and cut a lot of corners. In the last year, we've had 6 or 7 outages, one of which took out a five-mile area around my house. I called them, along with some 70 other households, and they told each of us that they didn't see an outage reported on their monitoring systems, and that a tech had to come out to each of our houses, with some appointments being 3 days away. I complained several times that the techs weren't going to find anything, and that we were wasting our time. I finally went to Twitter and blasted them before someone actually looked into it, and found that a line card was out in one of their distribution nodes somewhere around where I live. We got back up, but were out for about 36 hours.
Scott

    On Thursday, December 3, 2020, 02:51:56 PM EST, Daniel Sterling via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

 On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 2:19 PM Wes Garrison via TriLUG
<trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
> Google Fiber has been a real disappointment for a lot of folks.

Google fiber's primary function has been to keep AT&T from charging
$130 a month for their fiber in competing markets.

Other than price, AT&T fiber seems the better choice, it's been
rock-solid for me, and it's easy to swap out the AT&T CPE for your own
linux NAT box.

-- Dan
--
This message was sent to: Scott Thomas <chemikalguy at yahoo.com>