[TriLUG] Google fiber

Wes Garrison via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Dec 5 21:52:08 EST 2020

The EdgeRouter Lite now has a configuration "wizard" that sets up the
firewall and NAT all through a web GUI, so it's pretty danged easy.

If you're using Ubiquiti wifi gear as well, you can get the EdgeRouter X
SFP, which is about $95, has a built-in SFP for fiber and a built-in switch
chip, and can power multiple UAP-AC access points via their proprietary 24V
"passive" PoE scheme.

It can't power their standards-compliant Wave2 gear, which uses 802.11af/at
at 48V, but their "lite" and "LR" (Long Range) AC gear is so good that for
home use it's really good enough.

You can power a single AP with their regular ~$50 EdgeRouter X (non-SFP) if
you use a 24W power supply (not included), but by the time you buy an extra
power supply you may as well just get the ER-X-SFP.

One caveat about AT&T's "bridge mode" on their CPE router; it's not a
*true* Ethernet bridge mode. It still uses the built-in NAT table of the
router to forward the packets to your own router, and until recently had an
absurdly small session table.  They've increased the size, but it's still a
silly limitation that's not necessary.  Their router is needed in order to
do the 802.1x authentication to their network.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32356965-Justification-for-Pitiful-NAT-Session-Limits

Lots of threads on DSL Reports and elsewhere about this.

If anyone wants instructions on how to extract the 802.1x certificate from
an Arris BGW-210 and authenticate directly with their Ubiquiti gear, I'll
be happy to post the instructions here.

It's probably fine for most users.  But we're power users. :)

-Wes