[TriLUG] Kinsing ( Help? )

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Dec 21 21:23:42 EST 2020

Greetings, all.

I have been fighting an infection for a while now, and must beg for
help.

I have a machine, running Nginx and PHP5-FPM which first exhibited this
infection last winter ( just about exactly a year ago ).  I followed
instructions that I found, and things seemed to get better.

However, about a week ago, it popped up again.  I have been doing what I
can to block and eliminate it, but it keeps coming back.

One apparent source of infection was a line that was being inserted into
www-data's crontab.  I deleted that line three or four times, and then
had the bright idea of making that file read-only.  It hasn't been
modified again, but Kinsing keeps coming back.

One of the suggestions was to create "dummy" copies of the files
"kinsing" and "kdevtmpfsi," originally found, one in each of /var/tmp/
and /tmp.  I was able to block /var/tmp, but now it is creating both
files ( but "special" versions of each that don't collide with my dummy
copies ) in /tmp.

The piece of information that I missed was that this system is a Debian
8 machine.

Does anybody have any other ideas for "cleaning" this problem?

Thank you,
Brian