[TriLUG] Kinsing ( Help? )

Bill Weinel via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Dec 22 09:00:19 EST 2020

Sorry to hear about that...

I know this is probably not what you will want to hear, but I would
suggest doing a complete wipe and reinstall. If you have a backup from
before the infection, you could do a complete wipe and restore from the
backup.

Since there's no way to know what files may have been compromised in the
attack, the safest course is to just delete everything from the time of
the attack forward and reinstall. Even with the best 'cleanup', you may
not get everything that was compromised. Not to mention that it's going
to be a very time consuming process (which you may end up having to
preform multiple times if you miss stuff.) In the end, it's probably a
better course of action and will be less time consuming to just do a
reinstall.

Whenever I build a system here, I use Clonezilla to make a complete
post-install backup copy on a spare hard drive to place on the storage
shelf. Then I snapshot the system once a quarter using rsync/tar (which
works well for this process and can even be automated.) That way, should
something get compromised down the line, I'm back up immediatly and only
at worst three months behind on file updates.

cheers,
bill