[TriLUG] Software library Kevin Baconess

Nikolas Everett via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jan 13 10:38:02 EST 2021

The project I work on stores a hash of the artifact for all of it
dependencies, including transitive ones:
https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/blob/master/server/licenses/jna-5.5.0.jar.sha1

We tend to have experts in each of the dependencies to who follow the
upstream repos to keep us fairly up to date. It doesn't always work, but we
try. We're actually out of date on the example I linked.

We try to follow the JVM pretty closely. We try to upgrade our master
branch really early in the JVM release cycle so we can find bugs and stuff.
It's rare, but we've found bugs in it and folks have fixed them before the
release.

At some point you have to cut your losses on transitive dependencies. One
of those points for us is not monitoring the JVM's dependencies. On the
other hand we do publish a few docker containers and for those we are
pretty paranoid about dependencies.

I dunno. I figure more paranoia is always better for these things.
Especially given the SolarWinds hack. We were paranoid before it was cool.
But every time I think about the problem I think "oh, we should check this
other things too...."