[TriLUG] Free Red Hat Enterprise Linux

Maxwell Spangler via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jan 20 19:11:23 EST 2021

Bravo Bravo Bravo!

https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/new-year-new-red-hat-enterprise-linux-programs-easier-ways-access-rhel

No-cost RHEL for small production workloads

"We’re addressing this by expanding the terms of the Red Hat Developer
program so that the Individual Developer subscription for RHEL can be
used in production for up to 16 systems.  That’s exactly what it sounds
like: for small production use cases, this is no-cost, self-supported
RHEL. You need only to sign in with a free Red Hat account (or via
single sign-on through GitHub, Twitter, Facebook, and other accounts)
to download RHEL and receive updates. Nothing else is required. This
isn’t a sales program and no sales representative will follow up. An
option will exist within the subscription to easily upgrade to full
support, but that’s up to you."

I ran Red Hat Linux (RHL) from 1996 to 2003 and then switched to
Fedora.  Looks like I'll be switching back for my home systems.

I used Red Hat Enterprise Linux last week for a consulting project and
used the developer program's 1 user license.   Setting up an account is
easy and 'subscription-manager register' and 'subscription-manager
attach' to gain access to official repos was a breeze.

Very delighted with this news from Red Hat.

--
Maxwell Spangler