[TriLUG] Survey creating site thingies

Jack Hill via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Feb 18 10:47:44 EST 2021

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021, Mauricio Tavares via TriLUG wrote:

>      Need some feedback about where to create online surveys (at a
> friendly price ;) ). I have used the usual suspects before: Google
> (all the trilug surveys) and surveymonkey. Is there anything better?
> Of course better is relative; it depends on what I am trying to use it
> for, so:
>
> 1. Allow multiple choice and short answers
> 2. Some way to save the results so I can do data processing on my own.
> 3. (optional) multiple language support.
>
> Suggestions?

Mauricio,

I've had good success with using LimeSurvey [0]. I used it for the after
event feedback survey for the past two DurHamFests. We had about a hundred
respondents. If I remember correctly, TriLUG used it years ago also. It's
definitely full-featured and will do everything you list and more. The
trade off is that it will probably take more than five minutes to create
your first survey, but with the help of the documentation, once I figured
it out, I didn't have too many complaints.

It's implemented in PHP, and I used a self-hosted version with a
Postgres database on a shared webhost [1]. It looks like you can get
others to host it for you as well [2][3], but I don't know what you
consider to be a friendly price. I was specifically looking for something
I could self-host.

[0] https://www.limesurvey.org/
[1] https://hcoop.net
[2] https://www.limesurvey.org/pricing