[TriLUG] supporting legacy SSL ciphers

Aaron Joyner via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Feb 22 09:21:46 EST 2021

I'm glad you found a working solution, Alan.  Kudos for keeping the
software aspect of customer's ovens working, I can only hope most companies
are half as dedicated to the longevity of their IoT products.

Re: Go, you could have done all the development work on a modern desktop,
and have it spit out a single ELF binary that you could scp to your ancient
webserver.  You don't have to get Go installed to compile the binary over
there, and it wouldn't depend on the environment on that webserver beyond a
viable POSIX-compatible kernel API with an ELF loader and BSD socket
support from this millennium.  That said, if you do ever need to get the Go
compiler installed on an ancient system like that, don't reach for apt.
Just head over to http://golang.org/dl and grab a single tar.gz for your
architecture.  Just like any other Go binaries, it is self-contained,
statically linked, and the will "just work" without requiring you to shape
the environment to support it.  You can extract it to /usr/local/go and get
going.

Much more importantly, I'm glad you replaced the host OS: that Debian
server you built in 2006 was pretty long-in-the-tooth at this point.  I
would be very skeptical of trying to keep that online and secured, and now
that it's only supporting a single accessible port in for stunnel, the
internet is probably a safer place.  Those of us who have to defend from
DoS attacks by botnets thank you for your efforts.

Happy trails,
Aaron S. Joyner