[TriLUG] FInally hopping back on GitHub (help with PAT)

Alan Porter via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Mar 10 19:53:04 EST 2021

My response below was based on what I had seen in an earlier email that
Github sent out.

Now that I actually took the time to look at what Github has to say
about "personal access tokens", I see that they are just secondary
passwords that you can use with git-over-HTTPS requests in place of
where you would normally type in your main Github password.  That way,
you can have tighter control over specific actions that a username/PAT
can do, and you don't risk the main password leaking out
unintentionally.

https://docs.github.com/en/github/authenticating-to-github/creating-a-personal-access-token

Alan