[TriLUG] Network configuration help?

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Apr 30 13:29:55 EDT 2021

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021, Brian McCullough via TriLUG wrote:

> You are both increasing my education considerably.  I am generally a
> beginner in this field, knowing just enough to get by on a small
> network.

Wes and Aaron have covered it. I just want to say it a different way.

You want everything connected through the ZyXEL to be separate from the
machines already connected to your home router (the home LAN).

Everything connected to the ZyXEL will come from the ZyXEL to the home
router over a single ethernet line. The home router is responsible for
isolating the home and ZyXEL traffic. The ZyXEL just functions as a WAP.
There's no special routing on the ZyXEL. If your home router has multiple
ethernet cards (eg it's an old repurposed PC, my preferred type of
router), then you can attach the ZyXEL to its dedicated ethernet card on a
separate network on the router. Otherwise you'll have to VLAN the ports on
the LAN side of the home router (which is beyond me).

The WAN port on a WAP is to connect directly to the internet and to use
the WAP as a router. I want my own router with iptables etc. I don't use
the WAN port on a WAP. I connect one of the WAP's LAN ports to the home
router. The LAN port will have an address of 192.168.0.1 (or something
like that). Move it to an address that matches the network on the port on
the LAN on the home router that the ZyXEL will be connecting to. Write
that address on tape on the body of the WAP, as you'll need to know it to
access the WAPs config page in the future.

Next get the WAP working. Turn off dhcpd on the WAP as the WAP clients
will now be getting their dhcpd from the home router. Set an SSID on the
ZyXEL. Clients should now be able to connect through to the home router.
Then on the home router, isolate the wire going to the ZyXEL (if needed).

Joe

jmack (at) trilug (dot) org - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml