[TriLUG] Email provider recommendations

Jack Hill via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu May 6 13:00:56 EDT 2021

On Thu, 6 May 2021, Todd Edwards via TriLUG wrote:

> I just migrated most of my stuff over to pobox.com and couldn't be happier.
> The price is really great too.

This reminds me of the "Email Hates the Living" talk by pobox employee
rjbs: <http://yapcasia.org/2011/talk/59>. It's still one of my favorite
talks to watch after 10 years.

I haven't used them, but one of my correspondents uses
Migadu <https://www.migadu.com/>, and I think they are happy.

A plug for my own project: I'm one of the co-owners of HCoop
<https://hcoop.net>. One of the services we provide is email. We provide a
self-hosting-like experience for a number of services, without having to
go it alone (unfortunately, the self-hosting-like experience includes
limited leverage against monopolies like Spectrum who refuse to accept
mail from  us). I think efforts like HCoop are a really great way to
approach the problem of allowing people computing autonomy without forcing
them to become sysadmins. We're not there yet, but we're working on it!

Best,
Jack