[TriLUG] Using a Single Board Computer for a network appliance

Joseph S. Tate via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri May 14 03:28:41 EDT 2021

Given that AT&T has the world's worst DNS service, and barely any support
for custom DHCP on their required network router, and that I want to run
some sort of network wide ad-block, I was thinking of turning off DNS/DHCP
at the router, and running it on something else. I don't want to run
something that will eat a lot of power, or cost a lot to implement.

I have a Raspberry Pi 4, or I run docker on my always on desktop. I feel
like the Raspberry Pi running pi-hole + ??? would be a good plan. Any
contrary thoughts? Is it going to be fast enough for gigabit networking?
Should I try running OpenWRT instead?

I also have an always on desktop running docker. Should I run something
from that instead?

--
Joseph Tate

P.S. Anyone have success replacing an AT&T fiber modem/gateway with
something off the shelf? Worth it to save the $10/month device fee?