[TriLUG] Using a Single Board Computer for a network appliance

Joseph S. Tate via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri May 14 14:49:19 EDT 2021

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 7:46 AM Israel Pattison <israelpattison at fanana.net>
wrote:

> I’m on AT&T Gigabit Fiber. My gateway is in pass through mode, and my
> router is a ubiquity edge router. I serve DNS and DHCP from Pi-Hole running
> on a Raspberry Pi 4B 8 GB SBC. I also have a Pi 4B running Zabbix for
> network monitoring and a third Pi running Home Assistant for automation. My
> home address, date of birth, SSN, and External IP address are…

How much throughput are you getting on the Edge Router? Which model? My
understanding was that their entry level routers top out at about 600Mbps
unless you disable DPI/QoS. I've got Ubiquiti WAPs and am running the
unifi-controller on a docker container to manage those. I looked for a bit
a few months ago, but none of Ubiquiti's unifi controlled routers would
handle a gigabit uplink. I didn't really look at the edgerouter series
though as I didn't really want to learn how to manage it, and I'd already
bought into the unifi system. It looks like there are a lot of new options
now, though. Sounds like I wouldn't be able to return AT&T's device,
however, so that cuts into the networking budget.

My pi 4 is only the 2gb model. Do you think it'll run PiHole ok?

I started my gigabit adventure trying to run passthrough to an older
OpenWRT loaded Netgear Wireless Router, but it topped out at about 500Mbps
throughput.

My home address has always and will always be 127.0.0.1/::1. YMMV.