[TriLUG] TriLUG and Freenode - where do we go from here?

Mark Turner via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed May 19 10:03:49 EDT 2021

The big news this morning is that Freenode as we know it is dead. Does
TriLUG have plans for what to do now?

 From https://blog.bofh.it/debian/id_461:

"As it is now known, the freenode IRC network has been taken over by a
narcissistic Trumpian wannabe korean royalty bitcoins millionaire. To
make a long story short, the former freenode head of staff secretly
"sold" the network to this person even if it was not hers to sell, and
our lawyers have advised us that there is not much that we can do about
it without some of us risking financial ruin. Fuck you Christel, lilo's
life work did not deserve this.

*What you knew as freenode after 12:00 UTC of May 19 will be managed by
different people.*

As I have no desire to volunteer under the new regime, this marks the
end of my involvement with freenode. It had started in 1999 when I
encouraged the good parts of |#linux-it| to leave ircnet, and soon after
I became senior staff. Even if I have not been very active recently, at
this point I was the longest-serving freenode staff member and now I
expect that I will hold this record forever.

The people that I have met on IRC, on freenode and other networks, have
been and still are a very important part of my life, second only to the
ones that I have known thanks to Usenet. I am not fine, but I know that
the communities which I have been a part of are not defined by a domain
name and will regroup somewhere else."

More info: https://gist.github.com/joepie91/df80d8d36cd9d1bde46ba018af497409

Cheers,

Mark