[TriLUG] Dealing with bit flips from cosmic rays

Charles West via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jun 2 13:27:20 EDT 2021

@Matt:
Thank you.
I had a talk a few weeks ago with Les Johnson at NASA.  He lamented that
the solar sail project he was working on didn't have the mass to spare for
shielding.  As it turns out, shielding drops the incident chance of
radiation exponentially as long as the radiation doesn't have enough energy
to spawn secondary radiation.  This means you need fairly thick shielding
to stop the really heavy stuff, but having enough shielding to stop lower
energy protons from changing the doping of your semiconductors (the long
term killer of unshielded electronics) is within the realm of possible.

There is a tradeoff here.  If you use small fast computers then you can
spend more mass on shielding/redundancy and there is less area the
radiation is passing through.  However, your rad tolerance for the boards
is going to be a lot lower.  The question is whether the redundancy and
shielding can be made to make up for it.

@Roger:
Thank you.  I hadn't seen that.

@John:
Thank you.  I hadn't heard of parity pages.   Water is OK shielding for its
mass, but combinations of other materials can be better.  Z Shielding
incorporates heavy elements on the outside layer and gets progressively
lighter elements toward the inside.  I think that is the current best setup?

@David:
Thank you.  That is a lot of good info.

Thanks again,
Charlie