[TriLUG] Ubuntu reinstall and copying over /home

Mauricio Tavares via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jun 23 08:11:33 EDT 2021

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 7:58 AM Matthew Glassman via TriLUG
<trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> Okay I tarballed my /home directory as a gzip file onto an external drive. It was not its own partition. I reinstalled Ubuntu and made /home it’s own partition this time in the setup.  Can someone guide me through how I should move the tarball file back to the new install as my /home ?  I also copied my sources.list file for apt and a few other directories like /opt /usr if it would be good to put those back on.

      Laziest steps

1. Rename your current homedir (as something-saved, for instance)
2. Untar your old homedir as the current homedir. Your tar file should
show where you should be untarring from (you can also feed a
destination dir but this is the lazy list).
3. use old homedir, moving things from something-saved as needed.

Stuff you installed in /opt/apt. Don't know, but that sure sounds like
a case for something like ansible.