[TriLUG] BitSight is hiring python/java developers, data scientists

Alan Porter via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jun 23 13:26:47 EDT 2021

The company that I work for, BitSight, is currently looking for Python
and Java developers and data scientists.

WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO

BitSight is based in Boston, with offices in Lisbon and Raleigh.  We've
got about 500 employees, and we've been in business for about 10 years.
We're in the business of "security ratings", which are roughly like
consumer financial credit ratings, except they're for businesses and
they're based on security findings.  Why, you ask?  Companies use these
ratings for three things: (1) to keep an eye on their own "security
posture" (2) to evaluate or monitor vendors, to see which ones have
their IT act together (3) insurance companies use these as a quick start
when negotiating cyberinsurance policies.

Basically, we make "maps" of all of the domains and IPs that companies
control.  We map hundreds of thousands of companies.  And we subscribe
to a ton of feeds from other companies that scan the internet for "bad
stuff".  Then we correlate the two, and we get an idea of which
companies have more security related IT problems than others.  We assign
a rating number to each company, just like a credit score.  And then we
assign grades for specific things (certificates, old versions of
software, open ports, botnet infections, and so on).

WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR

We maintain a web site where customers can dig into the details of the
ratings, and they can sign up for alerts and access APIs.  We also have
a lot of microservices that handle different portions of the job: the
company maps, the internet events, the combination into scores, a ton of
other pieces around those areas.  Most of our services are written in
python (for the more webby/API like stuff) and java (for the more number
crunching stuff).

We're looking for software developers with a bit of experience, someone
who might call themselves a "senior" engineer.  And we're also looking
for people who work with large amounts of data, maybe folks who use
numpy and jupyter notebooks, or who write some short-lived projects that
evaluate trends in large data sets.

The details are at https://www.bitsight.com/jobs .

THE OTHER DETAILS

We have an office in Raleigh, but ever since March 2020, we've been
primarily working from home.  The intent is to continue to allow that,
with occasional in-office meet-ups.  It's a fun group of people, and the
company actively recognizes that fun is important.  We have an
hackathon, occasional off-site fun days, and so on.

HOW TO RESPOND

Send your resume to me at porter at trilug.org or alan at alanporter.com.
I'll get you in the right queue.  If you want, we can chat on the phone
about the jobs or the company.

Alan