[TriLUG] xkb / xmodmap

David Brain via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jun 24 09:44:37 EDT 2021

Hi,

It's definitely a HW problem with the KB (I know 'cause I broke it....).

I may now have a somewhat hacky solution... ran setxkbmap -query to find
layout in use (could also have looked in /etc/defaults/keyboard).  Which
gave me pc105 - then dug through /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols - found the
pc105 in ''pc' and modified that file such that the arrow key config now
looks like:

    key   <UP> {        [  Up                   ]       };
    key <LEFT> {        [  Left,Left,Up,Left                    ]       };
    key <DOWN> {        [  Down                 ]       };
    key <RGHT> {        [  Right,Right,Down,Right                ]       };

This seems to give the desired results although it won't survive a
re-install of xkb-data.

David.