[TriLUG] Repeat of my Runit Init Presentation

Alan Porter via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jul 26 09:37:20 EDT 2021

We use runit as PID #1 on most docker containers, because it sure is
helpful to be able to shell in and restart a service without killing a
kubernetes pod.  This makes it super easy to test things out without
shooting yourself in the head for every test iteration.

My main gripe with runit is the naming.  I wish they had called their
management command "runit" instead of "sv", and stored their configs in
/etc/runit rather than in /etc/service... or is it /etc/services... I
have to look every time.

I think it's pretentious for a piece of software to claim a very basic
name that could really apply to anything... like how ImageMagick breaks
out all of their conversions into basic-named commands like "convert".
I prefer the "git" model, using either "git verb" or "git-verb".  <end
of rant>

Thanks for sharing the runit goodness, Steve.

Alan