[TriLUG] Locked Out of Debian Buster Following Many Updates

Wes Garrison via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Sep 1 15:14:35 EDT 2021

I had a similar experience last week trying to do a dist-upgrade from a
Debian Jessie (8) install to Bullseye (11).

Dist-upgrade decided to automatically remove *dpkg* (!!!) of all utilities,
and of course everything failed after that.  I mean, what?

Luckily there's nothing really on that machine, so I can just nuke it and
install from scratch, but that's the first time I've ever had a major
failure upgrading to a stable Debian distribution.