[TriLUG] Distro choice for desktop

William Sutton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Oct 23 22:27:45 EDT 2021

Adding a thought of my own, or two RE base distro:
1. Debian is solid, but they tend to have a bit of a snobbish attitude
toward "non-free".  Which sometimes means having to find what repositories
allow the software you want (like Firefox).
2. Gentoo will let you learn to your heart's delight, but as previously
noted, is not for the faint of heart.  They have also had problems with
releasing packages that broke things for a lot of people at once (this is
scraping the barrel, but look up Gentoo and UDEV-200; I still have bad
memories of that one).  Also, last time I tried to get Gentoo and wireless
working (with an admittedly ancient WEP based access point ... it just
didn't.  Fedora did).
3. Mint ... my recollection from discussions in #trilug once, is that Mint
had a nasty admixture of various other distribution packages that
sometimes didn't play well with each other.
4. Ubuntu ... maybe it's fixed, but there have been times when Ubuntu
upgrades have gone sideways and the only resolution was to nuke the drive
and start from scratch.  Otherwise, once it's up, I hear it's easy enough.
5. CentOS ... yeah ... not feeling it, with "Streams".  I have two
concerns about CentOS now that Streams is a thing: 1. that they've
basically made CentOS their beta track to Fedora's alpha track and RHEL's
stable release and 2. that the continuous update thing could be as bad as
when Gentoo released their UDEV-200 problem on a continuous update cycle
... e.g., you never know what update is going to break something you need,
and how badly.  Granted it's Red Hat, so it's probably stable-ish... but
it scares me.

Basically ... if you like a particular base distro already, stick with
what you know and evaluate window managers or desktop environments
separately.

I should also add that for things like KDE/Gnome, especially with an
nVidia card, multimonitor support should just work with the package you
install.

William Sutton (with 22-ish years of Linux/UNIX experience, including RH,
RHEL, Debian, CentOS, Fedora, and Gentoo)