[TriLUG] structured wiring switch

Thomas Ingram via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Dec 8 11:15:49 EST 2021

We're in the process of building a new house, and our builder includes
structured wiring for four ethernet ports as standard. The wires all
terminate in a panel in the garage (inside on the outside wall), along
with a fiber optic line from outside. When closed the panel resembles
a breaker box mounted in the wall. There's no shelving with the panel
for extra equipment.

The builder is talking about this being the location of the network
switch and fiber modem. I've never had access to a setup like this,
and I'm concerned about keeping a bunch of network equipment in the
garage. (For context I'm used to consumer router/switch/access point
combo devices, but I'm happy to upgrade to something better. I also
have a home server I intend to keep in my office closet with access to
one of the ethernet ports.) I'm hoping someone here can help me make
sense of this setup. I don't know a lot about networking, but I don't
understand keeping everything in the hot/cold garage. I also don't
know why I'd want my networking hub to be in such an inconvenient
location (no shelves et cetera).

--
Thomas Ingram