[TriLUG] structured wiring switch

Mike Viscount via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Dec 8 16:32:50 EST 2021

In my house I have what I passionately call my network closet but in
actuality it is the central location for networking, cable, phone lines,
and audio.  Hard speaker wires from all over the place come into the closet
where i also have a stereo and some Sonos Amps, cable from the pod outside
and to all rooms, phone line from pod outside and to all rooms, cable from
a sat dish on top of the house, security system, and networking cable from
all over the place.

It's all in what was probably once upon a time a coat closet (i bought the
house used).  In the closet I also have a shelf on the wall (simple do it
yourself brackets and piece of wood) that has my AT&T firbe modem (used to
be a spectrum box) and a 16 port network switch.  It all works great and is
very accessible - I like it and am sure I like it much more than I would if
it were in the closet.

If I were you, or if I had to do it again I'd do it the same way.  Have the
builder run everything into that closet - in the house - and make all
connections there.  Phone in from outside, cable in from outside, speaker
wires from rooms into there, and most importantly network cables to every
room I might ever want one.  Of course wifi is much better than it use to
be but still having some wires in strategic places where you might want
hard wires for things like access points if not just connections to
computers or tvs, ... etc.

Definitely tell him to put it inside ... just think about how many times
you have to go look at it to see if connections are good, working with it
as others have said, .. etc.  Also, do you really want your wifi
originating from outside in the garage at one extreme end of the house?
Probably not ... and if house is still being built a small closet is a
trivial tihng to add somewhere.  My closet is 3x4 and is plenty big even
with a stereo cart in it.  If not a new closet pick an existing closet to
run the wires into.

I think the box you're talking about is referred to as a "media panel"  Do
a goole search and you'll even find pics of them in living rooms ... that's
a stretch if you ask me though - things that look great when first set up
and like trash after being put to real use.  Beautiful thing in a closet
though.

Would be happy to send you some pictures or even have you stop by to see
mine if you'd like to.  Planning now will make you a happy camper for years
to come!