[TriLUG] Cron doesn't seem to run

Matthew Glassman via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Jan 9 12:53:36 EST 2022

Hello TriLug,

I was just testing out cron/crontab on my Ubuntu box and I'm pretty sure I
know how to use it for basic (simple) stuff.  However, technology seems to
be have other ideas.

I entered crontab -e and put in the following just to have the shell sleep
for 10 minutes to see that it worked.

45 12 09 01 * sleep 10

If I check the status, I see the following output yet nothing actually
happened in the terminal.  What am I missing?  Do I need a full path to
execute command?  Works fine if I just put sleep 10 at the prompt.

Jan 09 12:45:01 mglassman CRON[4907]: pam_unix(cron:session): session
opened for user mglassman by (uid=0)
Jan 09 12:45:01 mglassman CRON[4908]: (mglassman) CMD (sleep 10)
Jan 09 12:45:11 mglassman CRON[4907]: pam_unix(cron:session): session
closed for user mglassman