[TriLUG] Geek....privacy and data security ------------was: Re: TriLUG Digest, Vol 3940, Issue 1

Michael Rulison via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jan 17 12:32:52 EST 2022

As an ordinary home 'user'  I would like to see some comments that put
privacy and data security in context.

By this I mean: how much danger and invasive-ness am I exposed to,
compared to a computer at a company, small or large?

I feel I am such small potatoes that hackers are not going to spend time
on me and my machine.

Am I reasonable in this belief or am I deluded?

How active should I be in implementing protection  beyond the standard
MSFT defenses and being sensible about the occasional phishing email and
staying away from social media?

>     1. GeekBeacon Fest Announcement and Requests (Samir Faci via TriLUG)

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 11:37:19 -0500
> From: Samir Faci via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org>
> To: Triangle Linux Users Group General Discussion <TriLUG at trilug.org>
> Subject: [TriLUG] GeekBeacon Fest Announcement and Requests
>
> Hello everyone,
>
>     I'm working with an Open Source community called GeekBeacon
> <https://www.geekbeacon.org/>, to put together an open source conference
> <https://www.gbfest.org/> taking place on February 18-19th of 2022.
>
> I'm trying to put together a panel discussion about privacy and data
> security.  We're pulling from our speakers initially but I'd love to get a
> more rounded spectrum of views.

---  “Without data, you're just another person with an opinion.”   -- W. Edwards Deming
    -- in https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/7327935-without-data-you-re-just-another-person-with-an-opinion

--- “The dark fantasy of Armageddon distracts from the more prosaic and obvious necessity to uphold the law and establish political and legal accountability for those who encourage others to defy it. Scary stories about the future are redundant when the task of dealing with the present is so urgent.”
	-- in 	nytdirect at nytimes.com 1/13/2022

N.B.: Please do not confuse, a short, pointed email with an epic novel.
Please "trim the tail" from a reply so that messages do not become super long.
Leave only what is required for context.