[TriLUG] Interfacing Mutt to Dovecot

Aaron Morrison via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jul 18 20:35:46 EDT 2022

Hi Steve! Long time...

I ran mutt to a local IMAP server a long time ago to get around ridiculous
$WORK email storage limits, but I don't need that workaround anymore.
I had a local IMAP server (don't remember what I used -- probably dovecot)
that I would move messages into for longer term archival storage, so you'll
see "localhost" in my config.  You can just as easily use a real FQDN name.
It was simple for my needs and I've enclosed what I had set up below.

Here are some references, too:

https://wiki.dovecot.org/mutt
http://mutt.sourceforge.net/imap/
https://help.runbox.com/imap-for-mutt/ (might be useful)

# ---- muttrc file -- UPDATE for your usage:
#
#set folder=~/Mail      # where i keep my mailboxes
#set imap_user= "<username>"  # may need to specify imap username - should
prevent prompting if needed
#set imap_pass = "<password>" # may need to specify imap password - should
prevents prompting if needed
set spoolfile=imaps://<username>@localhost/
set folder=imaps://localhost/
set record="=Sent"
set postponed="=Drafts"
set ssl_starttls=yes
----

Then you would access the IMAP folders just like any other mutt folder.
Type 'c' to change the folder and then enter/pick the IMAP folder you want
to view.

HTH.