[TriLUG] New disk woes ( 9th )

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Aug 9 21:39:22 EDT 2022

I hope that I get the help that this group is known for, this time.

I bought a new Crucial SSD for my HP Pavilion G7 laptop that I use for
most of my work, and proceeded to replace the existing spinning 1 TB
drive.  They are both SATA and of the same form factor, so I expected
there not to be any problems.

I was wrong.

I started by removing the original drive and taking both to a second
machine and started rsyincing the LVM partitions from the old to the
new.

That seemed to work properly.  I knew that the new drive was not
bootable, so prepred a Debian Netinst memory stick.

I put it in the G7 and could not seem to make it install to the new
drive.

I then took both parts to the machine where I did the rsync and
proceeded to run the Debian Netinst to prepare the new disk as a new
installable drive.  I made sure that I was choosing the correct
partitions on the new drive when running the partitioner during the
install.

Debian claimed that the installation was successful.

I took the drice to the G7, and it won't boot.

I have a Ubuntu live CD ( DVD ), and a couple of different USB sticks,
and they all seem to work in that machine.

Any suggested tools to get me working again?

Help Please?

Thank you,
Brian