[TriLUG] Big Problem with Firefox after Upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04

Bill Weinel via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Aug 14 11:36:42 EDT 2022

On 8/13/22 21:00, Scott Chilcote via TriLUG wrote:
> It does not appear to be an access permissions problem,
>     /usr/bin/firefox is owned by root/root and my .mozilla path and files
>     belong to my personal user and group.  But I don't know how relevant
>     that is to a snap.  Perhaps it can't reach outside of its own sandbox?
The snap is not able to pull data from outside of its operating
environment. Consequently symlinks don't work. :-(

>     Does anyone know what I need to do to get the firefox snap to use my
>     existing $HOME/.mozilla configuration files?  Do they need to be
>     relocated?

Yes, I relocated my .mozilla data folder to the snap operating
environment and problem solved:

cp -R ~/.mozilla/firefox ~/snap/firefox/common/.mozilla/

>     I can't imagine why the snap install didn't take care of this, but
>     perhaps there was a problem that kept it from working.  I spent half an
>     hour searching for how to correct this problem, but it must be rather
>     unique.  I found a total of zero matching problem reports.  Perhaps I
>     just didn't use the right descriptive terms.

I also searched for further information on this issue and found none.
According to the forums, Canonical gets the Firefox snap 'pre-compiled'
from Mozilla for inclusion in the Ubuntu distribution.  Neither Mozilla
or Canonical provided a script with the snap installer to move an
existing profile directory to the new location... a shameful situation
for an LTS release.  Hopefully they will fix that before the next point
release.

All the best,
Bill