[TriLUG] Replacement cable modem ( 8th )

John Frasnklin via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Sep 9 08:26:14 EDT 2022

Be careful when shopping for cable modems via CL.  Check the model numbers and verify it will work with your service’s need for how many downstream channels and what DOCSIS standard.

Cable companies prefer customers to use cable modems that are over provisioned by a couple channels.  If you’re subscribing to a 300Mbps plan, and have an 8 channel DOCSIS3.0 modem, then yes, the 343Mbps on the eight channels will let you download at full speed …. as long as none of your neighbors are also using any of the channels you’re locked on.  By over-provisioning, they can better guarantee that you’re getting the speed you pay for, and why they sometimes bug you to upgrade your modem.

Also make sure the seller has the right power supply for the device.  I picked up a router one time and burned it out flashing DD-WRT on it, because the guy gave me a power supply with the wrong voltage.

jf
--
John Frasnklin
franklin at elfie.org