[TriLUG] Spare capacity: was Free BOOKS

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Oct 29 07:55:46 EDT 2022

Esther L via TriLUG said on Fri, 28 Oct 2022 20:03:18 -0400

>Sorry, I gave away the Slack book earlier today.
>
>I really like that book. It's short. The author lays out the case for
>middle management NOT being busy every minute of the day, because
>thinking up improvements to make happens during the 'free time'.  I
>think it needs to be read as applying not just to managers, but also
>to individual contributors. From one of the reviews on amazon:
>"you need a degree of spare capacity in an organization to enable
>employees to be truly more efficient, companies to react to changed
>circumstances ..."

Another book that very graphically makes the case for having slack
capacity is "The Goal" by Eliahu Goldratt. In my opinion every English
speaking person on earth should read that book. Reading it certainly
changed my life.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Summer 2022 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times