[TriLUG] reason not to mix batteries in UPS

David Burton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jan 9 07:48:51 EST 2023

Joe, the LiFePO4 batteries are a different chemistry (only 3.2v per cell),
and should have much better lifespan than the 3.7v per cell Li-ion and LiPo
"lithium" batteries commonly used in things like mobile phones.

However, it doesn't look like this Howell battery
<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095K38M6C/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title>
is
a good choice for a UPS.

A key parameter for UPS batteries is the "C rating
<https://www.google.com/search?q=%22C+rating%22+for+batteries>," which is
how fast it can be discharged (amps), divided by the amp-hour rating of the
battery. For a 12v battery to be able to power a 500W UPS, it must be able
to deliver about 50 <https://www.google.com/search?q=500+*+1.2+%2F+12+%3D> amps
continuously, until the battery has run down. For a 7 Ah battery that would
require a C rating of 50 / 7 = 7C.

If a UPS is sized to provide a 10 minute runtime during a power outage
(which is fairly typical for the little UPSs with 7Ah RBC17
<https://www.apc.com/us/en/product/RBC17/apc-replacement-battery-cartridge-vrla-battery-9ah-12vdc-2year-warranty/>
lead-acid
batteries), then the C rating of the battery must be 60 min / 10 min = a
minimum of 6C.

To match the performance of a lead-acid battery, a bare-minimum usable
C-rating for a UPS battery is about 5C, and 10C would be better.

That Howell battery is advertised as supporting a maximum discharge current
of 7 A from a 7 Ah battery, so its C-rating is only 1C.

If you size your UPS large enough to provide a full hour of runtime from
the battery, that would be adequate for your application. 12V × 7A = 84W.
If we optimistically assume 80% conversion efficiency by the inverter,,
that gives us 0.8 × 84W = 67W usable. So if your load is more than that,
your UPS will probably not be able to support it, with that Howell battery.

Dave