[TriLUG] release format for commercial project
Wes Garrison via TriLUG
trilug at trilug.org
Fri Sep 18 16:26:56 EDT 2026
Those of you that use AppImages fairly often, do you expect them to display
the icon of the program you are downloading?
Or do you use something like AppImageLauncher:
https://github.com/TheAssassin/AppImageLauncher
...or do you just click on it and not care?
Also, do users generally know that AppImage requires FUSE? I didn't, and
Debian Testing no longer includes fuse2.
I clicked on the file and... nothing happened. I had to run it from the
terminal to find out I was missing FUSE, but since Trixie `libfuse2` is no
longer even available, and the new package is called `fuse3`.
Do most users who download AppImage files expect these things?
On Fri, Sep 18, 2026 at 3:58 PM Wes Garrison <wes at xitechusa.com> wrote:
> As soon as the desktop app is stable we plan to release a cloud version
> that should be mobile-friendly, and also a hosted db product.
>
> That means both a reasonably-priced version where we host the Postgres db
> for you, and a more expensive version where it is completely cloud-based.
>
> We use the Shadcn UI framework on top of React, so it should be mobile
> friendly.
>
> A real mobile app may be further down the road, but we'll do some
> strategizing to see how that may work.
>
> Our main architect, Mike, has lots of experience with React Native, and
> we've written most of the code in TypeScript to be maximally portable.
>
> An app as a "web frontend" to your hosted Postgres database may be a good
> way to go to avoid monthly subscriptions.
>
> We are definitely going to want recurring revenue too, but we want that to
> be for add-on services that you don't mind paying for like the hosted db or
> online backup, and not have folks feel like they're being extorted.
>
> Honestly the main reason I built this is because QB broke the ability to
> import a .QBO file (which is basically just an OFX file) if you didn't
> upgrade every 3 years. They call that "online banking", but there is
> nothing "online" about importing a file you downloaded to your computer.
>
> I didn't mind upgrading every 3 years when I was using their payroll
> service, but when I had to upgrade version 2019 *just so I can import a
> local file from my computer* ???
>
> The FTC should have been all over that.
>
> For version 2022, they got rid of perpetual licenses, and raised the price
> from $160 for 3 years to $250 for 1 year. Then the next year it went up to
> $850, and now it's $130 EACH MONTH. $1560 per year.
>
> Hence the name "FQB". "First Quality Books", because quality has to come
> first, not just price hikes.
>
More information about the TriLUG
mailing list