[Dev] Reading Circle

M. Mueller (bhu5nji) dev@trilug.org
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 05:39:06 -0500

On Thursday 14 February 2002 08:33 pm, you wrote:
> Cool.. so far it looks like we have at least some interest from at least:
>
> myself
> Mike Mueller
> Brent Verner
> Matthew Todd
> John Davis
>
> as well as a co-worker of mine, and a guy I go to school with.  That makes,
> uhhh, 7.  That seems like a sufficient number to me.
> I guess the next step is to settle on three key things: location, date(s)
> and time.  We might also need to take our discussion offline
> since I'm not *sure* this is technically on-topic for this list.  It's
> about development, granted.. but there's nothing Linux specific
> about Design Patterns...
>
> Course, I guess we could argue that it's on topic, because our next book
> might be "GNU C++ for Linux" or something. :-)

Quality open design is specific to GNU/Linux (and other open systems) IMO.
We are studying principles applied in these systems.

> Anyway;...  what do you all want to do about date, time and location?  As
> far as date(s) go, I'm pretty much limited
> to weekends, because I have class at Wake Tech, Monday thru Friday.  So,
> Sat. or Sun is my only real option.
> I don't really have a preference.  Whatever everybody else wants, is good
> with me....

Time: Saturday or Sunday afternoons are good for me depending on the
frequency of the meetings.  How do these things work? Is it assumed that the
participants have read the entire book, part of the book, or none of the book?

> Location isn't a big deal to me... I'll happily drive a decent distance, to
> make our meeting point somewhere
> central for everyone.  I figure we have a few choices for meeting place:
> somebody's house, somebody's office,
> a public place like a library or bookstore, or, uhmm... well, that's about
> it I guess.  Anybody got any suggestions
> or want to volunteer a spot?

Location not an issue.  When weather permits, I have a nice tin-roofed
outdoor seating area in 5 points Raleigh that accomodates 8-10.  Has AC and
DSL too.  Comes with galvanized tub full of ice and water that's good for
chilling and storing refreshments.