[Dev] Reading Circle

Brent Verner dev@trilug.org
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 21:10:46 -0500

[2002-02-14 20:33] prhodes@vdsinc.com said:

| Cool.. so far it looks like we have at least some interest from at least:
|
| myself
| Mike Mueller
| Brent Verner
| Matthew Todd
| John Davis
|
| as well as a co-worker of mine, and a guy I go to school with.  That makes,
| uhhh, 7.  That seems like a sufficient number to me.
| I guess the next step is to settle on three key things: location, date(s)
| and time.  We might also need to take our discussion offline
| since I'm not *sure* this is technically on-topic for this list.  It's
| about development, granted.. but there's nothing Linux specific
| about Design Patterns...
|
| Course, I guess we could argue that it's on topic, because our next book
| might be "GNU C++ for Linux" or something. :-)

I'd keep the discussion here until someone decides it's unacceptable.
IMO, until the discussion is /not applicable/ to development under
linux, it /is/ suitable for this list.

It would be nice to keep any communication in the open for those
who might not be able to make the in-person discussions.

| Anyway;...  what do you all want to do about date, time and location?  As
| far as date(s) go, I'm pretty much limited
| to weekends, because I have class at Wake Tech, Monday thru Friday.  So,
| Sat. or Sun is my only real option.
| I don't really have a preference.  Whatever everybody else wants, is good
| with me....

same here, except that Sunday night I usually get sucked into preparing
for the week-ahead's work, so my "free" time is generally from Saturday
afternoon to Sunday evening.  That said, this weekend is already
committed to upgrading a couple of intranet servers at work :-(

| Location isn't a big deal to me... I'll happily drive a decent distance, to
| make our meeting point somewhere
| central for everyone.  I figure we have a few choices for meeting place:
| somebody's house, somebody's office,
| a public place like a library or bookstore, or, uhmm... well, that's about
| it I guess.  Anybody got any suggestions
| or want to volunteer a spot?

I can (most likely) get a nice conference room in the building I work
in; very near the intersection of Hillsborough St and the beltline
We could adjourn to East Village for some refreshments -- great
sandwiches and libations (if you're so inclined).  The conference
room has a projection screen that can be hooked up to a laptop
if we need it.

| Time isn't really an issue for me either, except I'm not much of a morning
| person. So,  I hope not too many
| people want to meet too awfully early....  I especially like to sleep in on
| Saturday. :-)

Saturday morning is my been-hacking-fun-stuff-all-friday-night recovery
period.

cheers.
  brent

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman