[Dev] C++ book recommendations

Tom Bryan dev@trilug.org
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 22:09:00 +0500

On Tuesday 19 March 2002 09:13 am, M. Mueller (bhu5nji) wrote:
> Any recommendations on C++ books?  Something that describes the gears and
> pulleys as well as the function. I have Stroustroup from way back when.

I found Lippman's _C++_Primer_ more approachable than Stroustroup when first
learning C++.

> I was working with a base class last Friday that had no virtual destructor.
> It wasn't a problem until I added some private data items to the derived
> class.  Then the compiler started complaining.  I searched the web and
> gained a rudimentary understanding of the problem and I found a solution to
> the problem.  Now I want to have a solid understanding of that problem and
> solution.

For anyone doing serious work in C++, Meyers's _Effective_C++_ and
_More_Effective_C++_ are absolutely essential.

The problem you mention here is Item 14 in the first book: Make destructors
virtual in base classes.  Really, you'll save yourself a lot of time if you
buy and read (and reread) Meyers's books...especially if you're a class
producer and not a class consumer.  That is, you're implementing a C++
library and not simply stringing together other people's components.

---Tom