[Dev] GCC Front end anyone?

Andrew C. Oliver dev@trilug.org
Wed, 29 May 2002 14:45:13 -0400

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

>On Wed, 2002-05-29 at 14:31, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>

>>Well I'll give him 90% of what I'm making off of it....oh wait... I'm
>>not making anything ;-)
>>I'm doing this to brush up on my C and have an alternative to Java
>>that's OO and doesn't suck.
>>(C++ in my view, Sucks)
>>

>If you're looking for object oriented, don't look at C.  Sure, you
>can do OO in C, but it's an incredible kludge.
>
>Why do you say C++ sucks?  We just had this same discussion at
>lunch here and came to the conclusion that pretty much every language
>out there has its strengths and weaknesses and that instead of
>focusing on a particular language you should look at what you
>need to get done and use the best tool for the job.  Sometimes
>that's C++, sometimes it's C, or even Java, Perl, Python, Ruby,
>etc...  C++ no more sucks than Java does (and I personally think
>it sucks a *lot* less).  It's just what you know and are used to.
>
>Tanner

I  used to be a C++ programmer.  I'm not particularly interested in a
discussion about C++'s suckiness, its a very
old discussion and I'm sure you can find plenty of references.

Java has its strengths and weaknesses.  One strength is its simplicity,
one weakness is its simplicity.  One
horrible weakness is the Java environment.  Take a look at D
(www.digitalmars.com/d) and see what you think.
U/F the current compiler only works on Windoze.  I'm excited to work
with it.

Any knowledge of GCC internals?  Particuarly the "Trees" and Frontends?

-Andy