[Dev] Clear explanation on why LANG matters to Apps?

bp dev@trilug.org
Tue, 03 Jun 2003 16:23:52 -0400

Excuse my ignorance, but when I install some J2EE/WebSphere app on a
Linux machine setup in Spanish (or any other non-english language) what
really causes it not to work?  Are apps typically written for English
because of the path differences on a Spanish install?  Is Java unable to
parse properties files in Spanish...?

Just looking for a concise technical idea of what makes an app language
dependent.  My first assumption would be that it *should* work but
acknowledge that any output would be spit out in English...  but it
seems Java takes exception (pun intended) to it's non-English appserver.

-bp