[Dev] Clear explanation on why LANG matters to Apps?

Tom Bryan dev@trilug.org
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 23:36:57 +0000

On Tuesday 03 June 2003 08:23 pm, bp wrote:
> Excuse my ignorance, but when I install some J2EE/WebSphere app on a
> Linux machine setup in Spanish (or any other non-english language)

Sorry, maybe I missed part of this conversation...
You have a box whose default language setting is Spanish.  You install
WebSphere or some other J2EE server.  The J2EE server runs fine.  Now, you
try to install some app written for that app server, and that particular Java
app does not work correctly?  Is that correct?

> what really causes it not to work?

Wow!  That sounds like a bug report from one of my company's customers.  :-)

> Are apps typically written for English
> because of the path differences on a Spanish install?

I don't have a Spanish install.  Are the basic paths really different?

> Is Java unable to parse properties files in Spanish...?

Well, if the app hasn't been localized at all, then all of the strings are
hard-coded.  It'll work in any language configuration, but you'll just get
all of your text in whatever language the coder wrote the strings.  If the
app does load its strings from properties files, it's possible that there is
no properties file for the language and locale of the machine/user who is
running the app.  I've done very little with Java localization, but I thought
that Java defaulted to *something* when it couldn't find an appropriate
localization properties file.

> Just looking for a concise technical idea of what makes an app language
> dependent.  My first assumption would be that it *should* work but
> acknowledge that any output would be spit out in English...

That would be the case if the developer didn't even try to code it for
internationalization and wrote all of his strings in English.

> but it
> seems Java takes exception (pun intended) to it's non-English appserver.

What exception?  For exapmle, maybe the developer internationalized the app
and translated his properties files into Spanish.  Now he adds new properties
to the English properties files.  Now he ships.  Oops.  The app will fail to
find some of its properties in the Spanish properties files.  I think that's
a runtime error for Java.

That's an example of something that could go wrong.  It would really help to
have a stacktrace.

---Tom