[Hosting] free alpha box

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney hosting.a.t.trilug.org
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 10:59:10 -0500

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 10:30:21AM -0500, Christian J Hedemark spoke thusly:
> If we can drum up some disk, I think the second server (if it makes its way
> here) could definitely be some sort of build box and/or CVS type box to keep
> that traffic off of fatalpha.

Disk is not an issue - space to put the disks *IN* has been.

We may ahve to schedule soem fatalpha downtime to re-organize. If we
move the mirror disks and the home dirs to a private network dedicated
box that could be mounted on *ANY* machine, I'd be truely happy. Add
kerberos into the mix, and we can just add people once, and not have
to wrry about which machine they log into.

*THEN* we can seperate services effectively between boxes....

> RAQ 1, 2 or 3? Is it x86 or MIPS?  In any case, the usual method is take the
> drive out and hook it up (as a secondary drive) to a compatible host that is
> already running.  There's really not a lot of doc out there on doing this.

I looked it over this morning. Since it has no number on it, I'm
assuming it's a RaQ 1, and unless DEC made x86 processors, MIPS.

I suppose I could attempt to bootstrap the harddrive similar to how
they do it with debian HURD - partition & format on an x86 machine,
copy over a MIPS base system, and hope for the best when I boot it.

Not that any of it matters until we have the go-ahead to actually use
the box, mind you...

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  New email : alchemist.a.t.darkcanvas.com  --
--  http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist  --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
  -- Berkley Breathed, 2001