[Linux-ham] Congrats!

Magnus linux-ham@trilug.org
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 15:03:23 -0400

--Apple-Mail-2--1010971221

On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 02:41  PM, Jim Ray wrote:

> yeah, 9600 bps ain't gonna get it.  me thinks i'd better look elsewhere
> like the PCS you had mentioned.

LOL.  I guess if you want to web surf it doesn't seem like much.  But
for email it is plenty.  I don't think I did better than 9600bps until
~1994.

A lot of the personal email I get is encrypted, though, and from the
little bit of reading I've done about the amateur regulations it sounds
like this would be a forbidden use of the amateur spectrum.
IP-over-Radio dramatically increases the likelihood that someone is
sniffing your packets, though, and harvesting passwords and such.  If
crypto is not an option, I don't know that IP-over-Radio is as
attractive as it might sound on the surface.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish

--Apple-Mail-2--1010971221