[Linux-ham] Congrats!

Mark Turner linux-ham@trilug.org
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 15:12:25 -0400

Magnus wrote:

> IP-over-Radio dramatically increases the likelihood that someone is
> sniffing your packets, though, and harvesting passwords and such.  If
> crypto is not an option, I don't know that IP-over-Radio is as
> attractive as it might sound on the surface.

True, you are not allowed to use encryption, nor are you allowed to
obscure your messages. However, that does not mean that you are stuck
when it comes to _authentication_.

For instance, you can legally use S-Key to securely telnet into your
home PC over the radio. I have used this before to telnet to my home
machine when I was behind a firewall that didn't pass SSH traffic.

You can also use IPv6 features that provide packet authentication to
ensure your PC knows its you when you connect over the air.

Mark
N4JMT