[Linux-ham] Calling all packeteers

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Mon Sep 22 22:31:25 EDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 10:19:43PM -0400, Neil Little wrote:

> Have you tried APRS yet?

You bet I have!  I have a Kenwood TH-D7A I use in my mobile.  Connected to
that I have a Garmin eMap.  They make a sweet pair.  The rev G firmware in
the Kenwood can send station data back to the GPS (using $GPWPL for those
who are NMEA saavy), so I have a fully portable heads up of where all the
APRS stations are.

My Dad has a similar setup (GPS is a Lowrance Airmap 100) that he uses when
he flies in his Cherokee 140.  Very handy when he flies down from Ohio to
see me.  I can track pretty much his entire flight.

I think a neat side feature of the D7 with the APRS network is the text
messaging.  We may have a shorter message length than a cell phone, but we
don't have to pay $6.95/mo for the service :)

--
Kevin Otte, N8VNR
nivex at nivex.net
http://www.nivex.net/

-=-

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-- George Santayana

"It seems no one reads Santayana anymore."
-- Cdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5