[Linux-ham] DurhamFest goers, hamlib expertise, PARC to MPSC, whither Oculan ?

Mark W4CHL ppotfj603 at sneakemail.com
Mon May 24 11:02:39 EDT 2004

Dear Trilug Linux-ham list,

(cross-posted to trilug main list...)

We have been planning a demo of hamlib and other Linux apps for ham use (Cybiko is the plan) at DurhamFest. Anyone out there familiar with hamlib ?  I've downloaded, but due to family committments past few weeks haven't done anything with it yet. And here DurhamFest is coming up on Sat !

Plan to make available Knoppix 3.4 (2004-05-17 build) with hamlib (and maybe Cybiko support) on CDRs. Was going to bundle the hamlib + Cybiko stuff, but wanted to have a bootable CD that hams could use "out of the [jewel] box".  Boots great to KDE on old some old 166MHz MMX Pentium laptops with at least 80MB memory. Without GUI works well on the 40MB memory that is more common with many of this generation laptops.

Also looking for volunteers to work on transition of PARC to the Moorehead Planetarium and Science Center (MPSC) at UNC. Have several hams, thought this would be an EXCELLENT opportunity to insure that any displays are built on Linux first, Window$ only when can't do on Linux. Satellite tracking antennae on VHF/UHF with Kansas City Tracker I/F is main object of interest to MPSC.

BTW - what happened to Oculan ?  Web site still shows products available, though dead links to the management team list.

Hope to see some of you on Saturday !

Cheers de Mark W4CHL
PARC-W4CHL at sneakemail-dot-com