[Linux-ham] DurhamFest goers, hamlib expertise, PARC to MPSC, whither Oculan ?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon May 24 18:25:48 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 11:02, Mark W4CHL wrote:
> Dear Trilug Linux-ham list,
>
> (cross-posted to trilug main list...)
>
> We have been planning a demo of hamlib and other Linux apps for ham
> use (Cybiko is the plan) at DurhamFest. Anyone out there familiar with
> hamlib ?  I've downloaded, but due to family committments past few
> weeks haven't done anything with it yet. And here DurhamFest is coming
> up on Sat !
>
> Plan to make available Knoppix 3.4 (2004-05-17 build) with hamlib (and
> maybe Cybiko support) on CDRs. Was going to bundle the hamlib + Cybiko
> stuff, but wanted to have a bootable CD that hams could use "out of
> the [jewel] box".  Boots great to KDE on old some old 166MHz MMX
> Pentium laptops with at least 80MB memory. Without GUI works well on
> the 40MB memory that is more common with many of this generation
> laptops.
>
> Also looking for volunteers to work on transition of PARC to the
> Moorehead Planetarium and Science Center (MPSC) at UNC. Have several
> hams, thought this would be an EXCELLENT opportunity to insure that
> any displays are built on Linux first, Window$ only when can't do on
> Linux. Satellite tracking antennae on VHF/UHF with Kansas City Tracker
> I/F is main object of interest to MPSC.
>
> BTW - what happened to Oculan ?  Web site still shows products available, though dead links to the management team list.

Hey Mark,

Glad you're getting excited about Ham radio stuff on Linux.  TriLUG
won't be having a booth at the Dur-Ham-Fest, we didn't have enough
volunteer interest (the lack of air conditioning at the venue is a MAJOR
turn-off, especially for those who would otherwise stay most of the
day).  However, if you need any help burning CDs, please let us know and
I'd be happy to burn some in my spare time.

Article about Oculan's closure here:
http://triangle.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/2004/05/24/daily7.html

--Jeremy