[Linux-ham] Re: 802.11 equipment repurposing from Part 15 to Part 97

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 14:38:20 EST 2005

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 14:29:43 -0500, sjackson at radarfind.com
<sjackson at radarfind.com> wrote:
> In light of vastly superior voice/video/data technology such as the Icom
> D*Star system, repurposed Part 15 devices are, well, just that: like trying
> to convert a garage-door control to become a satellite station.  Same basic
> idea; same basic level of interest.

The difference being that garage door controls, or repurposed Part 15 devices,
are actually within reach of most of us while the "vastly superior"
(never having
even looked at it, I can't say that's true or not) stuff isn't.  In
addition, what
can you do with said Icom technology?  Can you modify it to do something
different?  Can you rewrite it's firmware to do what you want with it?  I'd much
rather experiment with something I can control than with something I have
to spend lots of money on just to get working.  Besides, hams used to
hold the lead in home built stuff and now all we seem to know how to
do is flip a power switch.  Well, I'm not interested in just flipping a power
switch.  I can do that with what I've already got.

Now, ideally, I'd much rather have something like a software defined radio
and pull together stuff from GNU Radio and experiment with stuff like that,
but that's still just a bit beyond what I can do at the moment.

So, short story, I'm not really interested in hearing what I can't do.  I'm
much more interested in hearing what I can do.  Thanks.

Cheers,
Tanner
KB4TYE

--