[Linux-ham] Calling for Introductions

KI4OTK KI4OTK at yonderway.com
Fri May 19 14:14:08 EDT 2006

Tanner, thanks for getting this started.

My name is Magnus Hedemark and I live in Durham, North Carolina in the US.
 I've been interested in amateur radio since I was a child but never got
around to it until this year.  I rushed into the exam without preparing
well for it but ended up passing anyway to get my Technician ticket.  Now
I'm playing catch-up and reading all of the material that I should have
read before the exam.

I'd like to upgrade to my General class ticket eventually but I'm not in a
rush.  I'm taking an interest in pursuing some of the things available on
2m and 70cm bands like APRS, EME, satellite, some of the digital modes,
and maybe UHF/VHF DX'ing.

I also enjoy going backpacking and anticipate putting together a rig
optimized for a couple of days at a time in the mountains with no mains
power.

I've only had my ticket for about a month and mostly I've been trying to
drum up more activity on the 70cm local repeaters.  We have a hamfest next
week locally and my shopping list is primarily a whole bunch of tools &
components for making my own antennas, which is something I'm interested
in experimenting with.