[Linux-ham] Linux on a Flash Drive

Norman Young normany27597 at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 15 21:55:48 EDT 2007

Hey, Rob and Don!

Just so happens I spent all of yesterday afternoon setting up Knoppix on a 1 gig flash drive and DSL on a 128 Mb flash.  I tried to do both as bootable drives per instructions I found online, but I could not get them to boot.  I finally settled for copying the ISOs to each drive and using the "bootfrom" cheatcodes for each.  Not sure what I was doing wrong.   I still have to begin the boot from a CD, but as soon as it finds the ISO on the flash, I can remove the CD.

I also set up DSL to run within Windows using QEMU,and that worksa little slow, but otherwise well.  If I could just get up the nerve to partition a portion of my HD for storage, I'd be in business...

However,I have an older computer that is a really good candidate for an attempt at a DSL install, but it doesn't have a network card.  What kind of problems would I have downloading some of the MyDSL or Debian packages onto a CD in Windows and then uploading it onto the offline DSL machine?

Oh, and the net sounds like a great idea!

73,
Norman
KA4PUV

Message: 3