[Linux-ham] Electronics with Lead-free solder problems

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 22:42:03 EST 2008

Just read an interesting article by computer pundit Robert Cringley
about the use of lead-free solder that's been in place the last couple
of years.  Apparently reliability of lead-free solder is much lower than
that of lead/tin solder that used to be used.  I wonder what this means
for current ham radio equipment.  Most of the equipment I have is
decently old (youngest radio is 5-10 years old and I've got some radios
older than I am).  Will this just end up being a "they don't make it like
they used to" thing?  Thoughts?

Article reference:
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2008/pulpit_20080221_004346.html

Cheers,